For More Information
This is by no means a complete list of all the sites related to World War I. However, it is provided as an introduction to available web resources on the subject.
North Carolina State Archives
- Military Collection
The Military Collection contains records relating to the military affairs of the State of North Carolina and the military service of her citizens dating from the 1740s to the present.
- The Old North State and 'Kaiser Bill'
An online exhibit created by Neil Cottrell, an intern in the North Carolina State Internship Program. The exhibit provides an introduction to World War I resources at the North Carolina State Archives.
- World War I Poster Collection
Over 350 World War I posters are preserved in the North Carolina State Archives collection, including: recruitment posters; posters by service organizations such as the American Red Cross and the YWCA; posters to raise money through the sale of Liberty Bonds; and posters which called for additional civilian participation in the common war effort, or urged increased production and efficiency so that equipment and war material could reach American soldiers on the front lines in Europe.
State Library of North Carolina
List of Scanned World War I Books
- Johnson, Clarence Walton. The History of the 321st Infantry with a Brief Historical Sketch of the 81st Division. Columbia, S.C., The R. L. Bryan company, 1919.
- Narrative History of Company K, 324th Infantry, 81st (Stonewall) Division. [ca. 1919].
- The Official Record of the United States' Part in the Great War. [n. p., 1923?]
- Operations, Thirtieth Division, Old Hickory. [n.d.]
- The Orphans Friend and Masonic Journal - selected columns from 1919-1920.
- Pratt, Joseph Hyde. Diary of Colonel Joseph Hyde Pratt, commanding 105th, A.E.F. Reprinted from the North Carolina Historical Review with additions. Raleigh: Edwards & Broughton Company, 1926.
- Sullivan, Willard P. and Harry Tucker, comp. The History of the 105th Regiment of Engineers... New York, George H. Doran company, [c1919].
- White, Charles H. Memories of Ambulance Company 321, 306 Sanitary Train, 81st Division, A.E.F. [n.d.]
Library of Congress
- Guide to World War I Materials
- Recordings from World War I and the 1920 Election (American Memory Project)
- World War I Newspapers (American Memory Project)
- World War I Rotogravures (American Memory Project)
Resources for Teachers
- The National Archives: Lession Plans for American History, 1890-1930 - The Emergence of Modern America
- NC Learn: K-12 Teaching and Learning
World War I Sites
- Art of the First World War
- BBC: World War One
- Documenting the American South: North Carolinians and the Great War
- PBS: The Great War and the Shaping of the Twentieth Century
- World War I - Trenches on the Web